General Summary: The University of Chicago Center for Latin American Studies invites applications for a position as Lecturer in Latin American Studies to begin in Autumn 2017. The Center for Latin American Studies coordinates an interdisciplinary M.A. Program in Latin American and Caribbean Studies (serving students with research interests in social sciences and humanities) and a B.A. major in Latin American and Caribbean Studies that has a social sciences emphasis.
The Lecturer in Latin American Studies will:
- Teach the two-quarter M.A. Proseminar, a graduate-level academic seminar designed to give incoming Latin American Studies M.A. students a critical understanding of the major theoretical approaches, principal research methods, and current trends in Latin American Studies. (Autumn and Winter quarters).
- Develop and present co-curricular programming for M.A. students, including thesis research and writing workshops, and additional programming as needed.
- Provide academic and career advising of M.A. students in Latin American Studies, as well as general supervision for M.A. students as they advance toward thesis completion.
- Serve on the M.A. admissions committee and assist with recruitment efforts.
- Teach one undergraduate/graduate course in his or her field of expertise.
- Teach two undergraduate-only courses in his or her field of expertise.
- Direct individual B.A. Papers and M.A. theses, as needed.
To apply for this position, please go to the University of Chicago Academic Career Opportunities website https://academiccareers.uchicago.edu and select requisition #03191. Applicants are required to upload the following materials: cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, dissertation abstract, reference contact information, and up to three writing samples/publications. Please have three letters of recommendation emailed directly to the Center for Latin American Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To receive full consideration, all application materials must be received by February 15, 2017. Review of applications will begin in February and will continue until the position is filled or until the application deadline of April 30, 2017. Early application is strongly recommended. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. University's Notice of Nondiscrimination at http://www.uchicago.edu/about/non_discrimination_statement/. Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-0287 or email ACOppAdministrator@uchicago.edu with their request.